Phase One of Dave Brunelli vs Mark “Oaktree” Brown showdown is in the books as Greg Robinson of Power Productions invited members of the boxing community to the The Wachovia Spectrum for a press conference to spread the word of his upcoming card on October 19th. There were some heavy hitters in attendance including former Light Heavyweight Champion Matthew Saad Muhammed, Daily News boxing columnist Bernard Fernandez, along with Power Productions fighters Tyric Robinson, Tommie “Big Poppa” Speller to go along with the panel which seated Dave Brunelli, Chucky Cavallo, Simon “One Punch” Carr, Greg Robinson, Jackie Frazier Lyde, former World Heavyweight Champ Terrible Tim Witherspoon & Mark “Oaktree” Brown. The 45 minute presser went something like this.
– Chucky Cavallo said how he is thankful for the opportunity to be on the card, to fight 10 rounds for the PA State Title against Richard Stewart and also gave a shout to his manager Nedal & trainer Muggsey Episcopo.
– Greg Robinson promised to bring a card that will entertain all of the fans in attendance. He also told us this card will be held to celebrate 40 years of boxing at The Spectrum which started with Smokin Joe Frazier and also spoke about he he once fought at the Spectrum back in his days as a pro.
– Dave Brunelli told everyone he “wasn’t one for a whole lot of hootin’ and hollerin'” but assured us he was going to bring his A game and come out on top October 19th.
– Oaktree thanked God, thanked his manager Howard Shomo, told us he got his nickname from punching trees as a kid, guaranteed victory and then ripped his shirt off. He also assured everyone that he is in shape and Team Brunelli better not be banking on him gassing out after a few rounds.
– Terrible Tim talked about how we will see a new and improved Mark Brown in this fight which sparked off a spirited debate with Team Brunelli manager Mike Murphy on who has beaten the better opposition.
– Mike Murphy pointed out that Brunelli has been the under dog in the past and came out on top and how they recently beat Aaron Lyons, the fighter who beat the guy that gave Oaktree his only career loss. Oaktree yelled out “man, that guy had titties”.
Overall it was a good start with both sides still convinced that victory will be theirs. Joining Power Productions in the promotion of this card are KO Fightz and Sports Extreme. Tickets are on sale at ComcastTIX.com, 1-800-298-4200, the Wachovia Complex Box Office, select ACME locations, and the Virtua Health Flyers Skate Zone at Voorhees.
If you have any questions, comments or suggestions you can email Philly Keith at firstname.lastname@example.org
Go to www.phillykeith.com for up to the minute info on the Philly boxing scene