Philly Middleweights 1970's

In the 70’s When Philly Middleweights Were at Their Best!  

By Ken Hissner

Philly is known for their gym wars in the 60‘s and 70’s in both the   amateur and professional ranks. The 23rd PAL in 1969 had some of the   best amateurs turning professional like Bobby “Boogaloo” Watts, 38-  7-1 (6), Eugene “Cyclone” Hart, 30-9-1 (28). Willie “The Worm” Monroe, 39-10-1 (26), was out of “Smokin” Joe Frazier’s Gym.

These three Philly boxers would join the likes of “Bad” Bennie Briscoe,   66-24-5 (53) and Stanley “Kitten” Hayward, 32-12-4 (18) who were already professionals.

Gypsy Joe HarrisIn 1968 “Gypsy Joe” Harris, 24-1 (9), was forced  into retirement when it was discovered he was blind in one eye.

Harris had a win over Hayward and won a non-title fight over Curtis Cokes but was never able to get a title fight finalized. Both Briscoe   and Harris were out of the 23rd PAL.  Philly’s Percy Manning, 17-7-1 (11) lost by knockout to Briscoe in their third meeting in May of 1969 and passed away in October at the age of 37. Briscoe had stopped him in 8 and Manning won the re-match by  decision.

Former top middleweight contender George Benton was  defeating Juarez de Lima in 1969 but in 1970 after another pair of wins ended his career losing to de Lima in a re-match. Benton had lost   to Briscoe in 1966 and would start training Briscoe after retiring in   1970.

A promoter named J Russell Peltz was making his debut in 1968 at the now legendary Blue Horizon. He would be most involved in promoting   the likes of these Philly boxers in the 70’s.

I remember going into the 23rd PAL in 1968 when Duke Dugent was running the gym. Boxers like Al Massey, 13-5-2 (8), who still holds the Philly record for a knockout in 11 seconds, and Lloyd Nelson, 11-4-1 (8) were still there. Dugent was helping me try to get the license of Harris back with the  possibilities if he didn’t to fight in Canada or Puerto Rico.

After an  initial meeting with Harris in that gym he was never to be seen boxing in a gym or every fighting again.  In 1970 Nelson would split in a pair of fights with Philly’s Perry “Lil’ Abner” Abney, 24-13-1 (20), another rivalry.

As you can see most of the Philly fighters had nicknames like “Lil’   Abner”, “Boogaloo”, “Bad”, “The Worm”, “Cyclone, “Kitten” and   “Gypsy”. Dugent had trained future world heavyweight champion   “Smokin” Joe Frazier, Harris and Briscoe in the amateurs. He called   Frazier “my most dedicated”, Briscoe “my killer”, and Harris “my   best!”

Massey had left the 39th PAL under Bear Connelly to join the   23rd PAL where they were more known for having fighters than  boxers. Speaking of gym wars, “Massey was the first person to drop   me in the gym,” said Watts.

Watts had a cousin named Jimmy Young training at the 23rd PAL. Young would give Frazier and Larry Holmes fits in sparring and defeat the likes of “Big” George Foreman and Ron Lyle while losing a controversial decision to none other than Muhammad Ali.

Both Watts and Monroe defeated a boxer from Brockton,   Massachusetts, when he came to Philly to gain a reputation named   “Marvelous” Marvin Hagler. Both made the mistake of giving him re-  matches in his home area losing by stoppage.

Willie the Worm Monroe vs Marvin Hagler

I remember at a weigh – in seeing Monroe with a cast on his hand and asking him “why would you give Hagler a rematch let alone up there?” He replied “why not, I beat him once.”

Once is right, and I was there the night in the Philly Spectrum when in his second fight under trainer Benton it looked like  he may have broken the nose of Hagler and didn’t run like usual but  stayed in front of him like Benton would fight.  Hagler would return to Philly for the third time and stop Hart, and  decision Briscoe.

After stopping Watts in Maine in a return he stopped Monroe twice, first in Boston and then back in Philly. It’s where Hagler made his reputation of being a future champion.

Another boxer named Eddie ”The Flame” Gregory, who later changed to Eddie Mustapha Muhammad, earned his reputation of a future world champion in Philly winning four fights there along with defeating Hart in New York.

In his fifth appearance in the “City of Brotherly Love” he lost to Briscoe.

Eddie Gregory vs Bennie Briscoe poster

He would return taking a pair of wins with the second   one over future Philly world champion Matthew Saad Muhammad.   After defeating Saad he would win and then defend his WBA light   heavyweight title over another Philly fighter Jerry “The Bull” Martin.

Even after losing his title to Michael Spinks who did his share of   training in Philly, he would return in 1982 putting an end to the career  of Cleveland’s Pablo Paul Ramos at the Spectrum.

Getting back to the Philly middleweights, Monroe who was in the  Cloverlay stable with Frazier had wins over Hart, Hayward, Billy   “Dynamite” Douglas but losses to Philly’s Curtis Parker and Watts.

“The Worm” and I happened to be on the same running track one day  when we had words after I had already beaten him. He talked about a  re-match and I told him we could have it right there,” said Watts.   Monroe now lives in New Jersey and is not one for interviews.

Hayward in the early 60’s had a winning streak that included   Manning, Philly’s Dick Turner, 19-1-1 and future champion Cokes. The Turner bout was the first fight I attended in person and it ended  Turners career.

The decision I thought was questionable but Turner  had a detached retina ending his career the same way it ended for  Philly’s Leotis Martin when he defeated Sonny Liston in the  tournament to decide who would take Ali’s vacated title. Hayward would defeat Briscoe in 1965 but lose to Harris in his next  fight.

In 1969 he would lose in a vacant WB and WBA super   welterweight title bout to Freddy Little. He would later lose to Hart,   defeat Abney and lose to Monroe and Briscoe. He even had a win over   Emile Griffith.

Hart would start his career off with 19 knockouts with Hayward being   the nineteenth. Then defeat contender Don Fullmer by decision. He  had back to back losses to Monroe, Watts and Eddie Mustapha  Muhammad.

Then win four straight including over 1972 Olympic Gold medalist “Sugar” Ray Seales, draw with and lose to Briscoe and then   lose to Hagler.  Watts defeated Hart, Monroe and Hagler. “They would never let me   work with Briscoe even in the gym.

Bennie had problems with  boxers,” said Watts. Briscoe had a reputation of going “south of the border” with some of his punches and an opponent usually wouldn’t  fight again for six months after a match with him.

Briscoe after losing to Hayward came back to beat Benton, lose to Hall  of Fame boxer Louis Manuel Rodriguez and in 1967 take a trip to  Bueno Aires, Argentina, and take on Carlos Monzon, 40-3-6. A   standing room only crowd of 9,900 saw them fight to a draw.

Argentina is probably known for more draws than any other country.   The ruling ahead of time in the fight was if neither fighter was ahead   by three points in the scoring it would be ruled a draw. Score cards  were not released after the fight.

It would take five years and Monzon  winning the middleweight title before Briscoe would return to  Argentina for his long-awaited re-match losing by decision.

One of the problem’s this writer has is too many of these Philly   fighters were so busy fighting one another few ever got world title   fights. Watts, Monroe, Hart, Harris, Manning and Benton never fought   for the title.

Only Briscoe who would get three unsuccessful chances   at middleweight and Hayward at super welterweight did.  The bottom line is Philly may never be the same like it was in the 60’s  and 70’s but you can still see “Boogaloo”, “Kitten” and “Cyclone” at the fights in Philly!

By the way “Cyclone” has a son named Jesse “Hard   Work” Hart who happens to be 16-0 (13) and a potential world super   middleweight champion!


One thought on “In the 70’s When Philly Middleweights Were at Their Best!  ”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *